Survey Comparison Chart
Surverys & Valuations can be carried out within 24hrs
Survey Comparison Chart
Surverys & Valuations can be carried out within 24hrs

Part Structural Survey (Engineer’s Report)

This is a survey of a specific part or parts of a property which may have a particular defect.

Part Structural Survey (Engineers Report) from Property Link Chartered Surveyors

When you are buying or selling a property there are certain reports that you may have to have completed beforehand, the most typical of these are the valuations and homebuyers reports. However, these are not the only reports you may find you need, some properties will require a structural survey, otherwise known as an engineer’s report. At Property Link Chartered Surveyors there is a team of dedicated Surveyors and Structural Engineers who are qualified and experienced in completing engineers reports in and around the Midlands and even UK wide. Ideal for residential and commercial properties, our services are delivered to the highest quality, providing our customers help with everything they may need to buy or sell a property.

What is an Engineers Report?

An engineers report is a survey of a specific part (or a few sections) of a property which may have a defect which is a cause for concern. This could be related to movement, cracking, dampness issue or any other structural defect.

A detailed inspection is completed and an analysis of the particular defect is undertaken before a detailed report is written up by Surveyors and Structural Engineers.

This report will include the following information:

  • The construction and current condition of the affected part of the property.
  • The probable cause of the property defect or defects.
  • A brief specification of the repair/ remedial works.
  • An estimate of the cost of essential repairs.

Get a FREE Quote

Please call 0800 158 3820 or fill in the form below

The engineer will investigate aforementioned specific defect(s) from previous reports and even look at areas associated to this. However, the Surveyors and Structural Engineer will not analyse the entire property for other structural problems, if this is something you would like then you need to have Full Structural Engineers Survey completed. The Part Structural Survey (engineers report) is offered as a stand-alone report or as a follow-up to a homebuyers or valuation report.

Book online now and save 10% or more

How to know if you need an Engineers Report?

When you buy a property it is generally required that a survey is carried out to access the overall condition of the property. There are three main reports you may come across during the initial part of this process, the most basic of which is a valuation, more comprehensive are homebuyers reports. These reports will usually be completed by a qualified surveyor who will have an excellent knowledge of buildings but will be limited in their structural knowledge. In these reports, the surveyor may identify areas of the property that are structurally a possible cause for concern, along with the recommendation that a detailed investigation and a further specialist report is completed by an engineer. Therefore, you only usually need engineers report if a previous survey has identified issues that require further investigation.

With this being said, you should consider having a Structural Survey completed if:

  • The building is over 50 years old.
  • The property is expensive.
  • The building is taller than three storeys.
  • The condition of the property is poor, for example, it is dilapidated.
  • The property has unique features, such as a thatched roofing or a timber frame.
  • You intend to make structural modifications and changes to the property.
If you are selling a property then you will know it well and you may be aware of potential areas of concern. You may also know that this could potentially mean your buyers will require an engineers report which could cause delays in selling the property, potentially even putting buyers off making an offer completely. To avoid delays in selling your property, therefore, you might decide to have engineers report prepared which you can show to prospective buyers.

What is the difference between an Engineers Report and Other Reports?

An engineers report is completely different from any other report you might instruct, such as a homebuyers report or a valuation. Unlike valuations and homebuyers surveys, an engineers report will not comment on the appearance of the property, its decorative state or its market value. Instead, the structural survey will concentrate on specific defects, issues relating to it, ways in which the defect may be fixed and the estimated costing of this. Therefore, though this report will be useless in helping you to know the market value of the property, it will be incredibly useless in helping you to understand defects the property has, what needs to be done to remedy them and how much this might cost.

If you need help deciding which survey you require in the buying or selling of a property, or would like more information on engineers reports, do not hesitate to contact our helpful Surveyors and Structural Engineers. A friendly team member will be available to answer any questions you might have and even provide you with a free, no-obligation, quote.